Sunday, September 13, 2009

India Fest - India in Minnesota

The India Fest
India in Minnesota

by
Mahima K. Gupta (11 years)

It was September 13th, a hot and humid Sunday where many Indian families and American friends had gathered to perform and attend the “India Fest”. It seemed that the weather gods had “cooperated” to recreate the feel of heat and humid stickiness of an Indian summer day!! The fest was located at Phalen Park and near the Mississippi River in the Twin Cities. The India Fest was a tradition formally called “Festival of India” which was usually indoors. The India Fest is organized by the “Indian Association of Minnesota” (I.A.M).

There were many booths and performances which kept everyone entertained. As I watched the dances, I noticed how different the dances were though they were all Indian dances. A couple of people also sang Hindi songs, and bhajans-also done very nicely. There was also a lot of FOOD! In the Shelter Area there were a ton of food stalls which offered snacks like samosa, tikki, hot chai, mango lassi and other snacks for a modest charge. There also were a few options for lunch like naan and different sabjis. I didn’t take all that stuff, but I did take a glass of mango shake which I chugged right down! My friends and I got up and decided to go look around the booths. They were from different companies and groups. I picked up all the samples they were offering like balloons, key chains, and stress balls.

Soon all youth dancers were called for the dance. Even before the dance, I was hot and sweaty and I did not know how I would feel after the dance. Soon we all formed a line waiting to dance. We were next in line to dance, and I was as hot as ever!! I wondered how hot my head would be……I gently put my two fingers on my head…..OUCH! My fingers felt as if they had touched on a hot and hairy pan. It was finally our turn to dance. Soon we were dancing to the beat and music of “mauja-hi-mauja”. In the humid heat my synthetic loongi (long skirt) was basically sticking to my thighs and I forgot that “mauja-hi-mauja”- literally meant “fun-and more fun“. When we were finished we all got off the stage. But now I could take off my loongi and wore my shorts. I was so happy! Then I noticed that it was time for the adult dance. All the colorful lehangas (long skirt) were spinning and blending together- it was like a spinning rainbow! My mom also danced in the group that did the Rajasthani dance celebrating the festival of Holi. Finally all the dancers got off the stage. Since the dance was done I decided to go get some mehandi (henna) done. So I went to my dad and begged for some money. My dad quickly gave me some money and I skipped to the Vibha Booth. I got in line and waited for my turn. “You want a magnet asked”, a young man working at the booth. I shook my head and told him I already had picked one up. Soon a couple of my other friends had come in line for mehandi too. After fifteen minutes of waiting it was finally my turn! So I dropped the money in the bucket and the lady started to put an elaborate design in the middle of my palm. Soon she was done! It was beautiful! I thanked her and went to my mom and dad. When I got to my parents they said it was time to go home. So I said bye to everyone and we all left. The India Fest was a good family event, and I hope it gets established as an annual event.

No comments:

Post a Comment